Let’s review some things that Benton Harbor drivers can do to improve fuel economy.
- Bottom line, the better you maintain your vehicle, the less fuel you will use. It all adds up in a big way. For example, replacing your dirty engine air filter will pay for itself in fuel savings before your next oil change and will keep saving you money after that.
- A clean, well-maintained fuel system really pays big dividends for budget conscious Benton Harbor drivers. A clogged fuel filter wastes gas. So does a dirty fuel system, grimy fuel injectors and plugged up PCV valves. A fuel system service decreases the gas you use and increases the power, so you can’t go wrong with that.
- Some of us Benton Harbor drivers ignore our Check Engine light. But fixing the problem that caused the light to come on will usually save some fuel as well. It may be a bad oxygen sensor that can really rob your fuel economy.
- And, it may be time for a tune-up. Tune-ups should improve your fuel economy. Don’t overlook the routine maintenance items, like scheduled oil changes, transmission and cooling system service. Dirty or low fluids actually use more fuel. Just look at your car maker’s recommended service intervals in the owner’s manual or ask your M & W Tire service advisor for the schedule.
- Don’t forget your tires. Under inflated tires waste gas. And if your wheels are out of alignment you won’t get the gas mileage you need.
- Be sure to get a new gas cap if yours leaks or is worn.
When you maintain your car properly, you save gas today and prevent pricey repairs tomorrow.